Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Something Is Wrong


This has been a busy couple months for the auto world. For one the Geneva car show has had some newsworthy rides including the much talked about $4.5 million Lamborghini. And before that Elon Musk, founder of Tesla Motors, decided he didn't like an article put out by the New York Times and showed just how badly Tesla Motors needs a Public Relations office. But I've had some big news myself and I’m sad to say I’m sick. Well I must be, because as of lately the one car that’s been on my mind has been the Chevrolet Volt. I know, and I don’t understand why either but for some stupid reason I’m starting to like it. I think it’s the same kind of pity or understanding that warrants some men into buying stupid little dogs in favor of the much better and much manlier Labrador.

For some reason it just makes sense to me. I don’t want a $60,000 electric car I can’t use the heater in when its sub-zero out because it might mean I won’t make it home. I don’t want it to do 0-60 in 5 seconds if I can’t travel at highway speeds like the rest of the people around me. That to me is useless and although I love the fact that Tesla Motors is trying to make electric cars cool and their passion for advanced technology, the plain and simple truth is it’s too soon. It’s not that we aren't ready for it it’s that the technology isn't developed enough to be stand alone and I think they’re jumping the gun by not fitting all Tesla cars with a fuel engine as well in case you do have to use the heater when it’s cold out. I think maybe that is why I’m coming around to the idea of the Chevy Volt. You can’t argue with the practicality of averaging 200 MPG and the space of 4-doors. Yuck, what’s happening to me?

Over the past week at the Geneva car show VW showed off one of their own, a diesel hybrid called the XL1 that gets 260 miles per gallon. VW calls it the world’s most efficient car and I know, judging by the limited numbers they will build, most of us will never be able to own one. But it is platform and what that means is, as VW has already announced, there will be a Golf hybrid someday soon. Now you might be asking why I never fell in love with the Prius and the reason is…it was stupid. Sacrificing looks, performance, and self-respect for only 40mpg…no thanks. I've driven Hondas that get 32 mpg and you even got to keep your dignity by not looking like a snob. I recently read that Prius owners who also bought a Volt admit that the Volt is twice the car the Prius is. And maybe that’s why the Volt is getting my attention. It kicks the Prius’ butt and that’s cool for a number of reasons. So I am coming around to the idea of two engines that help increase your mileage to numbers never seen before. I especially like it when companies such as Mercedes-Benz and Porsche are working on platforms with the combination of fuel/electric motors in sports cars. That means you could drive to work and back in your Porsche 911 using little to no fuel but have the gas motor for when you need it on a cruise through the mountains or a trip out of town. I like that, a lot. Maybe Tesla Motors could learn a thing or two about building functional electric cars with fuel engines as well because a high-priced car that can’t drive from New Orleans to Orlando to take the kids to DisneyWorld is just an iPad with wheels. Add the fact that one day those batteries won’t hold a charge and you’re stuck with a car that won’t move while Volt owners will still have a car that gets 37 mpg.

And now this part is for the stupid people. Unfortunately, as we have all now seen, when someone criticizes an electric car company they are seen as someone who wants to destroy the world or a supporter of the evil “big oil”. If you add the fact that I love high-performance cars then it pretty much makes me the equivalent to the polar-bear-killing-devil. Please know one thing; I absolutely agree we should be doing all that we can to protect the environment. I support less emissions and alternative fuel, but we have to go about things practically and not erratically. Also understand that cars and their fumes are just one small part of the problem. There are larger polluters than the automobile.

One more piece of information. The idea of using corn ethanol to thin out our fuel is a horrible idea. Putting more ethanol in fuel actually increases smog (check out API vs. EPA) and makes your vehicle less efficient, not to mention the food and fuel price increases it causes. And if Congress does not pass a bill that stops stations from selling E15 fuel then it will be illegal for any vehicle built before 2001 to fill up. So if you want to start saving the world (environmentally and from stupidity) let’s start by getting ethanol out of our fuel, it is the kind of bad decision that comes from erratically trying to save the world. I already wrote my state Senators, maybe you should do the same. 



Photo by msvg via http://www.flickr.com/photos/msvg/5490955912/sizes/l/in/photostream/

No comments:

Post a Comment