Tuesday, October 9, 2012

8 Tools from My Online Toolbox



If you’re a car geek like me then your browser’s Favorites file is filled with links of automotive parts and websites that you rely on. I thought for today I’d post eight of the must have sites that I use. Some are popular and obvious, others are not. Most of the time they sit there untouched but when they’re needed, they’re needed badly. Often we organize, sort, and clean the tools in our garage toolbox but leave these links scattered among links for weather updates and sports sites. Make life easier, take some time to clean up your online toolbox and throw all those related links in a file labeled Automotive, Car Forums, etc. That way you spend less time searching for the right tool and more time on the street cruising.


If you come across any sites in your toolbox that you think should be added to list feel free to leave them in the comment section.

This is the must have for anyone looking for a new project or parts for the one you already have. I check this site weekly and have successfully bought cars and parts through it. Since anyone can post to the site for free there is a lot of content but that also means there are weird people using this site so use your head when purchasing or selling.
- If someone is too lazy to post a picture then they’re not a serious seller and you should probably move on.
­-Only accept cash. If they offer you a check then cash it at their bank with the buyer present to make sure the funds clear.     
-Meet in public places and never at your house.


7.) semasan.com
This is the SEMA Action Network. Haven’t heard of them? Well you need to know them if you care about the future of motoring. This organization is made up of enthusiasts and car clubs who feel they need to protect our culture from harmful bills and legislation. Join their mailing list and enter you zip code to receive updates about bills being passed in your area you need to know about. The best part is there are no fees or dues to become a member.

6.) autoplates.com
Great site for getting custom European and Asian license plates made. I had a German tag made for the VW and I was impressed with the quality of the product. If you don’t feel like putting one on your ride consider them as a gift for a fellow car geek or as a sign for the man-cave.

5.) busselecta.com
This site is great. It is a flash program that allows you to customize a Porsche 911, Porsche 356, Porsche 550, VW Type-1, VW Type-2, and VW Type-3. I have spent more time than I’d like to admit building the dream Porsche. I will say it has come in handy when deciding the paint/tire combo for my VW. Either way it is a great tool or toy.

4.) autotraderclassics.com
This is one of the sites I use when doing my weekly prowl for older cars. I have used this site twice for selling and once for buying. Easy to customize searches with decent layout. Recently they changed their pricing for selling and I have noticed a bit of a decline in overall content. Another problem is this site overlaps years with Autotrader.com. That means one site might have what you want and the either won’t.  Also Autotrader.com stops the search year at 1981, that means for certain makes (like the Porsche 911 which is pretty much the same car from 1978-1983) you’ll have to use both sites.

3.) cars-on-line.com
Old school style classified site with tons of car categories to choose from. The cars on this site tend to run on the expensive side but depending on your budget this site might just be for you. Occasionally I have found good deals in the Projects section.

2.) Forums
This one depends on your make/model and mechanical skills. I use forums all the time when I come across a car problem. I use thesamba.com for my VW issues and Mazdas247.com for, as the name implies, the Mazda. You will have to do some research finding which forums works for you but it does pay off. I love having access to wiring diagrams and tech advice right at my finger tips. Chances are if you have a problem, somebody did too and found the solution. Searching forums for the right answer can save money and time on repairs.

1.) bringatrailer.com
Without a doubt my most favorite site on this list. Bring a trailer, or BaT, brings to light a lot of cars you won’t find on the sites mentioned above. It is a reader submitted blog, so when someone stumbles across a rare find everybody benefits. This site is addictive for me because it lists a lot of European cars that are hard to find in the US, easing my struggle mentioned in Faces of Ford. Definitely check this site out.


I bet you’re thinking I forgot one huh? No…I purposely left that one out. Ebaymotors.com. I've been burned a time or two from Ebay sellers so I just can’t find it in me to recommend the site. I do check for parts occasionally but still to this day have yet to buy something again. I've had close friends swear by it and others, like me, loathe it. I guess it all depends on your personal experience. Caveat emptor.  .



photo by lenore-m via http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenore-m/2515800654/http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en

No comments:

Post a Comment