Friday, April 19, 2013

The Subaru Striptease



When the new WRX was revealed at the New York Auto Show it caused quite a stir with its aggressive styling and neon exhaust. I, however, was a little less impressed. Every article I read highlighted that the chassis was four inches lower to the ground, and spoke about it like it was a good thing. I must be crazy but I thought WRX stood for World Rally (Cross, AWD, or Experience depending on what side of the debate you’re on) and four inches lower in the rally world isn’t always good. I know Pikes Peak is now fully paved but people, especially here in Colorado, like to go off-road in their Subaru and I bet they don’t want the lower chassis. I do, however, think it looks amazing and think the current WRX needs some serious cosmetic work. But in truth it doesn't matter because apparently it was all a joke.

On Tuesday I saw pictures of what is set to be the new WRX going around a track in camouflage, and I can tell you right now it looks nothing like what you saw in New York. It’s still boring, kind of awkward, and as dull as ever especially compared to what was promised. And that’s a shame because this will mark the second time that Subaru had a great concept Impreza/WRX but yet fell through on the production promise. Now obviously car companies put out concepts and then change them dramatically, but what Subaru puts out for the Impreza/WRX isn't that far-fetched. Like both concepts they've gotten positive response which in turn makes Subaru really excited. They get caught up in the moment and enthusiastically promise production. Then they fly back to Japan, sober up, and realize what they just said. Everyone waits for the next generation and when it finally comes its stupid ugly. Seems like an ongoing and disappointing game of bait and switch.  

I am now at the point where if I had to choose between the STi and Evo I would get the Evo, and that is something that back in 2005 I thought I'd never say. To make matters worse Toyota is showing them up on their own turf. Look at the BRZ for instance, it is Subaru’s best looking model but that’s only thanks to Toyota. I feel like the designers at Subaru are being held back, maybe by the executives in accounting or they’re just deeply self conscience. I keep thinking about the girls in high school who would dress up for Prom but then wear sweatpants all year for class. No you don’t look fat in that and yes Subaru, you do pull it off. Now go build it, we've been waiting.



No comments:

Post a Comment