Friday, October 19, 2012

Chrysler Will Kill the Coupe



I will be the first to admit I am a little biased towards fewer doors. Actually I prefer as little as possible between me and the road which is why l love roadsters, safari windows, door-less Jeeps, Caterhams and other windowless race cars. My friends and family officially think I’m mental because every car I’ve owned has had too little interior, too many fatal fumes, made too much noise, or didn’t have enough seats. My infamous advice to younger people is always buy two-seaters or small coupes during your early driving days to avoid people always trying to bum rides off you. Thankfully my Del Sol allowed me to cruise with my girlfriend without having my buddies in the back acting like complete morons. The fact is, two-seaters might even be safer for a young driver because they won’t have 2 or 3 extra people yelling, hopping up in down in back trying to give “wet willies” to the driver.

The fact is coupes are just better in every way. Their lighter, easier to drive, easier to park, easier to vacuum out, more fuel efficient, have better aerodynamics, less parts to replace, and have a more rigid frame. I’m convinced however that Chrysler wants them dead, extinct, six-feet under, to bite the dust, push up daisies, and kick the bucket. They won’t admit it but I know it. Don’t believe me? Look at their history. Charger, 300, Avenger, Dart, and Magnum all had years with two door options but don’t any more. They currently offer three sedans but no small coupe. I’ll stop you before you say Challenger because it is the biggest, tallest, and chunkiest of the pony cars out currently. It is so awkwardly large and I can think of a dozen cars I’d take over the Challenger if I were shopping in its price range. And unless you’re over 55 years old, live in Florida, AND play golf daily the Chrysler 200 doesn’t count. Thankfully there is the new Viper, although having one amazing coupe that’s incredibly expensive isn’t enough.

Really I’m not mad at the four door option, I’m mad there is no two door version too. No Dodge Dart coupe? Seriously? The Dart went through thousands of hours of product development and not one person mentioned building a small lightweight coupe or hatchback? No one thought of the Civic, tC, or any of the “fanscy Yurapeein cars”? What is sad is Marchoinne, a real live European, didn’t push for a small get-around-town friendly Dart coupe. I’m honestly lost for words. Concerned they’d steal the Fiat 500’s thunder? Simple, don’t make it as small. Besides, I have yet to hear someone say, “Do I want a Fiat or Dodge?”

Here is some advice. They should stop recycling the car names from the 60’s unless they’re going to build the same car. The Ford Mustang is not a sedan, neither is the Camaro, nor was the GTO (RIP). If they must add doors to everything they should at least take a page from Mazda. Add them but hide them. The RX8 is easy to get in and out of but still has soul and a 50/50 weight distribution. Let’s be honest, Chrysler isn’t thinking. After being bailed out by the US Government is not the time for them to be mediocre. Sure they’re sustaining and have little to no debt, but they need to be amazing or they will fail…again. They have all the right pieces, talent, and brands to be the great company they once were. They make a good van, truck, sedan (but leave the Charger legacy a coupe), and sports car. Now they need a new proper Hemi muscle car, a good one this time, and an efficient coupe. They need to Just do it, YOLO, or whatever overused saying gets them motivated. If they continue adding doors to everything they won’t have any customers to sell to because they will all be dead from disappointment, or moved over to Nissan. That’s right; the reality is Nissan has all those great things mentioned above. So do Ford, GM, and Toyota. At the rate Chrysler is going you might want to prepare yourself for the day when they release a Hemi ‘Cuda Crossover.  

No comments:

Post a Comment